Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm content

So I am normally not much of a political person. Scott and I discuss politics often in our home, and issues that are important to us, but it's never been something that we have felt the need to share most of the time. Sure, there are some issues that I feel very strongly about, and I have gotten pulled into more than a few political discussions, especially lately with this election. But I've never been one to volunteer, or even contribute to a campaign so I wouldn't call myself overtly political. However, this entry is about how I feel right now, after watching the world unfold these last few hours.

I took the kiddos to go vote today. Jack kept asking me why I was voting. My answer was pretty simple, "because I want to have a say in what happens to this country, and I want to let people know how I feel". I'm not sure how much a 3 year old can get this, but I'm trying. I'm hopeful and excited to see what will happen in these next few years. While all the elections didn't go exactly the way I wanted, I'm extremely pleased that when my kids learn about presidents, they will have more than a bunch of old white guys to learn about. I'm excited that they will live in a world where there is a black president of the United States. I will be equally excited when they get to see a woman in the White House, but for today I will savor the thought that they will live in a world that's a little bigger now. I pray that Obama and his family will remain safe and that he will be a courageous and wise leader. I do worry about his safety, and the safety of his family. After all, he is a figure reminiscent of JFK, and we all know that didn't end well. I pray that this administration will be able to heal some wounds and build some bridges, and that Obama will be a leader that does not disappoint.
So I voted for Obama, not because he is black, or because I agree with all of his plans and stances, but because I like his position on the issues that are MOST important to me. So yeah, I drank the "cool-aid"...and it tasted great :)

End of political blog...now back to your regular old "my kids did this" blog. Thanks for reading the rant of a sleep deprived mom who will now never get to sleep!

No comments: