Friday, February 26, 2010

The verdict

Ehhh, the soap is alright, but I'm not completely impressed. It seemed to do very well with the towels, but the clothes I washed were a different story. As I was folding them up, I could still smell Scott's deodorant on some of his shirts (though they didn't smell bad at all). Call me crazy, but that just doesn't seem to be so clean to me. I'm sure I'm just used to all the chemical goodness that's been cleaning my clothes for years, but I want clothes that SMELL clean. Maybe this is just something you have to get used too? Who knows. I've got a huge bucket-full to get through, and maybe I'll adjust my stance. It seems to work OK, but I'm not in love.

As for the dryer sheets, again when I did the towels I had no problems. Everything smelled clean and fresh, it all looked great, and it was certainly soft. When I washed the clothes, I had a different story. The clothes were soft and they smelled fine...until I stuck my nose into one of Liv's shirts. It smelled faintly of vinegar to me. Not much, just a little whiff, but who wants to smell like vinegar? I don't like cuddling my little girl and smelling pickles ;P Maybe the amounts need to be adjusted here? I also didn't like the way my hands smelled after wringing out the wet rag to put it in the dryer. VERY vinegary and it lingered. I might end up putting it in a spray bottle and just spraying it on a rag before throwing it in. I guess I could have used too much as well. I'll keep trying this and see if it gets any better, and I may end up adjusting the mixture to use less vinegar.

All in all, it was a fun little project to do, but I can't really call it a raging success. It certainly is cheap, but in my opinion, you have to sacrifice a lot to use these products. Guess I'm a chemical girl after all ;) I have all the stuff to do them both multiple times and who knows, maybe I'll come up with a way to use them that I like?

3 comments:

Autumn said...

I have another friend that made home made laundry detergent...maybe she has a tip to two to share. Her post on this is here: http://edistosurprise.blogspot.com/2009/10/great-laundry-experiment.html

I keep thinking that one day I will give this a try...

alley said...

maybe you can do a little mix and match? like half of the homemade stuff and half of the store bought stuff? or some sort of mixture like that? it will make your store bought last longer, and it will help use up that bucket-full that you made. just a suggestion. i'm with you on the smell though. i need my clothes to smell clean, and i have a programmed smell for that in my head already.

Angela said...

I've tweaked the dryer sheet thing. I only use the 2/3 c and do this...

2/3 c vinager
2/3 c conditioner
2x2/3 water

It seems better so far :)