Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Scott's Trip to Paris

Kris said I could take control of the Miller blog for an evening and post some information and pictures from my 5-day trip to Paris so here goes...

ACIS (the company that is putting together our trip to Italy and France in the summer) sent me on a training trip to Paris about 2 weeks ago. This was a chance for me to get to see the kind of hotels we'll be staying at, experience the way their tours work, and get to know the personel that will be available to us on our 10-day trip in June. We'll have 5 children and at least 4 other adults going with us this summer (I'm still crossing my fingers that we can get a few more folks to sign on in the next week and a half. You know who you are "D & V").

My trip had many highlights... come on, I was in Paris! But I'll blog on just 3. First, I bought 2 etchings the first day I was there. Kristin and I happened into a little family-owned (3rd generation) art store our first trip to Paris ('03 I think), and we've gone back together once and now I've been back twice to buy more art from them. My purchase this time was helped out by my bringing my tour coordinator, Stephanie, who was in Paris for the training along to translate for me. Not that I needed to bring her, but I thought it would show the owners that I at least made an effort to make my purchase using French (even if it was through someone else). Just to be clear, the shop owners did not seem impressed. This first picture is of the art store (that guy is the owner).

Second, I got to take some great nighttime pictures of Paris. I was up late at night. Something was off on my internal clock so I had a few late nights. This led to several trips out into town to take pictures of the buildings that get lit up in the evening. There's no way to capture all a feeling of standing there and experiencing these places, but it does at least give an idea of how beautiful Paris can be at night. This picture on the left is of the Louvre Museum and the Seine River. The picture on the right is the back of Notre Dame Cathedral.




Third, I was asked to join our 2 tour managers (Sara and Liz) and Stephanie (whom I mentioned earlier) for dinner my last evening in Paris. We went out for crepes and they were amazing! We ate in this tiny little restaurant and had a blast. Up until then, that day had worn on me a bit. Paris is fun, but the fun eventually wears thin when you don't have anyone to share the fun with. This evening out saved the day... did I mention the food was delish?

I can't wait to head back and go on another adventure... especially when I can do it with Kris to share it with! Oh, this last picture was from my crepe dinner.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Sounds like fun. Did you see the Eiffel Tower twinkle? That was my favorite part, yet just can't be captured on a camera.