Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The great laundry experiment...update

I've been using the laundry soap pretty much every day for the past few weeks. And yes, I do laundry almost every day. I prefer that to wasting an entire day sorting, folding, and putting things away! And somehow, there is always laundry to do...but I digress.

I've come to love my little bucket of goo. It sits on top of my dryer just waiting for me to scoop it's gelatinous goodness into my washer. And yes, I know it's sad that I'm waxing poetic over detergent. It's been a slow month here at Casa Miller!

Some things I've learned:
1. I start a load with HOT water every time and scoop the goo into the tub so it can dissolve in the hot water before I add the clothes. It even bubbles up a bit when I do this. Then I add the clothes and switch the water to whatever the load calls for. This has been working great.
2. I still pretreat the really nasty stains (like grass stain), but so far, it's doing a great job of getting everything else out on it's own. And you ALL know how I am about stains!
3. When a load is really foul with, ahem, potty training laundry...I add about a tablespoon of regular laundry detergent to the load. It helps freshen the loads and so far, so good. I also still have 3 big jugs of regular detergent to use up sometime!

As for the dryer sheets, I really haven't been using them. I've found that I don't even need it! Only in loads that have fleece in them do things ever stick together, but that really doesn't bother me. Everything smells good and it's soft so for now, we're dryer sheet free :) So, has anyone else tried this?

1 comment:

Angela said...

I've been using the dryer sheets. I really like them but I have discovered that you need to put WET cloths back in as otherwise you go through it way fast (and I only like a little fabric conditioner anyay...)
I also altered the receipe
2/3c vinager
2/3 c conditioner
2x 2/3 cup of water