Sunday, March 21, 2010

We're back from TN

Alternately titled:
Why the "Family Bed" is not for me
Last Friday we left for a quick and unexpected trip to TN for a family funeral. We packed up hastely and made the 7 hour trip with a quick stop in Louisville to have lunch with Aunt Jess. The kids were LOVELY. No whining, they were in good spirits and completely enamoured with the portable DVD player ;) By the time we got there, got settled in and changed for the viewing, they were a bit loopy, but they did SO WELL being quiet! We tried to explain what was going on and what to expect (as well as you can to a 4 and 2 year old), and I think Jack got it. At one point he patted my hand and said "I'm sorry Ms. Maggie died". Then he asked if we could leave :P Jack was charming everyone and Liv was even coyly smiling (copious amounts of Pa Paws "hot candy" ie, cinnamon Certs, helped with this!). We went to eat afterward and even though the restaurant was insanely busy, the kids were in good spirits.
When we got back to the condo, we got the kids ready for bed. Things were still going well! Hooraay! We were all sharing a room with 2 double beds, so we settled each kid on their own beds and told them we'd be in to sleep with them later. Success! They went to sleep! Victory! A few hours later, Scott and I went in to go bed for the night. Scott snuck in bed with Jack, and I cuddled up with Liv. At first, it was terribly cute sleeping with my little girl. She held my hand, and laid her head on my arm and it was all warm fuzzy goodness. Then I woke up at 2 am to the sound of not one, not two, but three people LOUDLY snoring in a wondrous harmony...one of which was nestled about 3 inches from my ear. Try as I might, I could. Not. Go. Back. To. Sleep! It was SOOO loud, and SOOO irritating that I lay awake for the next 4 hours trying in vain to get some rest. I moved Liv, repositioned her seven ways from Sunday, but alas, to no avail. She kept on sawing logs, oblivious of my pain. I even walked over to the boys bed and shook them several times. Nada. They kept up their annoying symphony for several more hours. Boo.
Needless to say, that morning was not one of my finest. But we rallied and took the kids to a little park by the church to blow off some steam before the funeral. We got some pizza, got cleaned up and off we went to the funeral home. They got a bit antsy after about 45 minutes, but truly, so was I. Some raisins, crayons and more ubiquitous hot candy saved the day. Liv fell asleep on the way to the cemetery so we let her sleep through that service. Jack was done at that point so Scott took him over to look at some very old tombstones while we finished up. Then it was off to the church for some fine eating. I love the southern tradition of food to a crisis. Piles of fried chicken, ham, shellie beans, mashed/fried/hash brown potatoes, homemade rolls, and an incredible amount of desserts always make people feel better ;) The kids were once again revived and Liv even let 2 of my cousins hold her (she has a thing for men, that one is trouble!).
We went back to the condo to change and then hiked down the mountain to Dale Hollow so the kids could throw/skip some rocks. The sun was setting and it was just lovely...minus the part where Jack lost his balance and his shoe paid the price! Bedtime went well, and this time I was prepared with 2 Tylenol PMs. Being forced to be unconscious worked well :)
We got up early this morning and headed back home, stopping in Louisville to have lunch with Aunt Jess, Uncle Mark and Ella. Ella has a new big girl bed that she enjoyed showing off and everyone had a great time. The ride home was a bit more harrowing, as everyone was tired of riding in that car, but we made it. We're home now, and I'm trying to catch up on laundry and the grocery list for tomorrow. It's back to the routine...for now.

No comments: