Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Beach

After our last day at Disney, we drove to the beach for a few days to relax and actually have a VACATION. We cashed in some airline miles (thanks to free trips!) and we were able to get a very nice room at the Amelia Island Plantation for very little money. SCORE! We were excited to show the kids the ocean for the first time, and not have it be a huge tourist trap kind of experience. Amelia Island was perfect for that. It was a private beach, on a golf course, surrounded by a 1,200 acre resort that also had private homes, shopping and restaurants, and a huge gate. The place just screamed "I HAVE MONEY!". At first, I was a bit uncomfortable, as I thought it would be obvious how much we don't fall into that category. However, it turned out to be awesome. There was literally no one there. We had the whole beach to ourselves :) That's my kind of vacation!
While we were still at Disney, Scott called the resort to check on our reservation and make sure everything was ready to go. After some drama regarding changing computer systems, it was confirmed that yes, we did have a room. So Scott asked if we could upgrade...and wouldn't you know it, we could ;) We ended up with a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, full gourmet kitchen with living room and balcony for the price of one night in a so-so hotel. AWESOME. I loved this kitchen. Seriously. LOVE.
This was without a doubt the best part. That was the biggest bed, in the biggest room, which did not have my children in it. Bliss after having Liv snoring in my ear for 5 nights straight!

Our pool. There was one older lady there for a few minutes one morning. I loved having it to ourselves!
Walking down the boardwalk to cross the golf course and head to the beach.
She looks too old in this one :(
The first shell found.
Making a sand castle!
Mr Fearless pondering what to do first.
Love this picture. It betrays the fact that we were trying to keep Mr Fearless from drowning the whole time. I actually brought a book the first day we went to the beach. Isn't that funny? I thought I would get to read! Bwha ha haa!! We spent the whole time making sure Jack didn't get swept out to sea.


Liv was much easier to keep track of. She wanted to make sand castles and sit on my lap, though she would occasionally go into the waves with someone holding her hand. She was not a fan of being knocked down by waves and covered in cool saltwater. Can't imagine why...
All in all, it was a fabulous end to a great vacation.
Now to plan our next adventure...
:)

No comments: